Monday, June 30, 2008

[SOLVED] Day 181: Dannybuntu is Not in the Sudoers File! How to Edit Sudoers File

My Ubuntu Hardy is too unresponsive. It takes too long to respond to clicks, specially in Firefox 3. Running all of these in an old Pentium III 650 Mhz with 256 MB RAM slowly though, is acceptable since the hardware is really old. However, I will not accept that Windows XP can perform better on the same machine. I tried Yoper, which is what I found after I googled for the terms "fastest linux". However, I wasn't able to install it since it didn't detect my keyboard. I don't know the problem so it just didn't work out. So I went back to good ole cranky Debian. The whole surface of the Debian CD is literally coated with dust but it still worked.

I know I have installed Debian a bazillion times already, but along the way I forgot certain things that are peculiar to its use. I tried to install pppoeconf via the cli but here is what happened:

daniel@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install pppoeconf
[sudo] password for daniel:
daniel is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.


So I googled for the terms "add user to sudoers file" and got transported here. I then did the following:

daniel@debian:~$ visudo
-bash: visudo: command not found
daniel@debian:~$ sudo visudo
[sudo] password for daniel:
daniel is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
daniel@debian:~$ su
Password:
debian:/home/daniel# visudo


In visudo I saw this:

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

Defaults env_reset

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL


I needed to put my username below root ALL=(ALL) ALL, I entered into edit mode and put daniel ALL=(ALL) ALL just below. I used this cheat sheet by the way. I saved my work and yes, now I can use sudo.

1 comment:

  1. i found the solution here >http://alufis35.uv.es/~laura/spip/spip.php?article172

    Basicaly it say that you must put> su - to get root privileges, then you can use de visudo command to add yourself to the sudoers file.

    ReplyDelete

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...