Tuesday, July 08, 2008

HowTo: Install and Run Microsoft Money 2004 on Wine 1.1/Ubuntu Hardy 8.04

[UPDATE 08/09/08] Also works on Sidux! I am now using Sidux. Make sure to export WINEPREFIX.

Yes I did it. I will try my best to replicate what I have done, but it was mostly dumb luck as most of the time I didn't know exactly what I was doing. Take that as a word of caution and my explicit waiver.

1. First off, install the latest wine version by following Ubuntu-Unleashed's instructions:

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install wine

2. Then install cabextract

$ sudo aptitude install cabextract

3. Then install ies4linux. NOTE: A lot of people are saying that ies4linux is bad for wine and linux. If you have other programs on wine - STOP. Do this on a clean install of wine and figure out whether the following steps would be good for you. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED IN BOLD LETTERS.

$ wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
$ tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
 
$ cd ies4linux-*
 
$ ./ies4linux




4. Make a separate folder named .winebottles under /home/yourusername

$ cd ~

$ mkdir .winebottles

$ mv ~/.ies4linux/ie6 ~/.winebottles/money2004

$ export WINEPREFIX="/home/yourusername/.winebottles/money2004"

5. Go to your CDROM directory and install MS Money 2004. Mine was /media/MONEY

$ cd /media/yourcddrive

$ wine setup.exe

$ wineboot wine install / postreboot / pkg: mnypack


6. If you are lucky you should have gotten MS Money 2004 to install successfully.

$ cd ~/.winebottles/money2004/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Money/System

Change directory to your new installation and run

$ wine msmoney.exe

7. You will get some errors,I just got rid of them by ignoring and cancelling. You may ask if I did this originally. The simple and frank answer is no. I got it from a couple of French guys in an ubuntu forum. Find the original post here.

































3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Im VERY interested to get Money 04 working. My wife uses it on our finances and Im setting up Ubuntu on a new computer for her. She likes Ubuntu, but said she wont use it becuase she needs MS Money. The last piece of the puzzle is getting Money working on her new system (for Christmas actually). Would you have any helpful advice for me to get it going? I followed all of the instructions and everything installed well. When I load up MS Money 2004 it appears to load up, then I get some error telling me there was a crash and I should close Money and go back into it. Theres a little checkmark for refreshing Money, but its a continual loop of loading up Money, a crash occurs, and it asks to reboot Money again. Do I need a money file to boot in Money properly, becuase now its just trying to load Money without a file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not an expert but I will try for you. I guess lets start with the error message. Do you get any? Sorry, been "out of the internet" for a while (holidays). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite impressive, I am pleased to read this post, keep posts like this coming, you totally rock!

    stainless steel coffee mug
    (Coffee Mug Online Shop: The Best Coffee Mug Store)

    ReplyDelete

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...