Saturday, July 18, 2009

Day 1061: Bayanihan Linux 5 Screenshots

Here's my way of promoting Bayanihan Linux to the Filipino people as well as the International Community. Yes, folks, we Filipinos have our own Linux distribution as well.

Right of the bat, I'm going to admit that I'm not really that well versed in evaluating a Linux distribution. I simply like it or not.

At the most, I can give it a score of 10 (highest) or 1 (lowest) without any explanation or justification for giving such a score. So if you really want an in-depth analysis, I suggest that you try it out for yourself to see. 

This Linux distribution is based on Debian, runs KDE 3.5 has the easiest installation routine I've ever encountered ever and has a pretty awesome wallpaper.

Since I am running Bayanihan Linux 5 on Virtualbox OSE I can't really test its actual performance. If there's such a thing as a Virtual Performance then I'll disclose that for what it's worth.

Okay, so here we go:


INSTALLATION

1. Booting the Virtual Linux Distribution from the Virtual CDROM in the Virtual Machine Installed in a Virtual Drive.

Yes, I am beginning to hate the word Virtual too.


I actually installed this 5+ times already so I have tried both Graphical and Text Mode install. The install process is very extremely newbie friendly. I literally installed by just pressing the Enter key again and again and again like a drunk rabbit.

The more advanced crowd would probably say that it's too simple and that the installation process actually hides more than it should. But nevertheless, these things could be tweaked later on.




Photobucket






Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket



Basically there are two modes shown above: the Graphical Mode and the Text Mode. Like I said, it's so easy even a drunk rabbit which can press the Enter key repeatedly can install it.


Seriously, it's really that easy. I would suggest the Text Mode when you are going to install this since there is no significant difference between the two except the additional usage of resources. Of course I could be wrong, but hey I'm a practical guy. To me they're the same banana.




POST INSTALLATION

First Boot

I can't really say since this installation is performed on a Virtual Machine. But speaking from my experience, it's simply slow.

How slow? After 5 minutes I got a sandwich, spread some peanut butter, toasted it, made myself coffee, tasted the coffee, added sugar, tasted coffee again, munched the sandwich and it's still not done.

Now before you rage against me - I'm going to say this again - this is on a Virtual Machine with an allocation of 256 MB RAM running on my Celeron 2.66 with 750+ MB RAM on Ubuntu 9.04 (Host) and Gnome.







Photobucket


Good work on making government logos look "ok". It makes me feel that I'm actually working there and this is my work PC.

Fun.



The wallpaper is very nice and original. Very very very well done.

I couldn't change the screen resolution in Virtualbox so I moved the panel on top.



bayanihan linux kdm login

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bayanihan K-Menu

Bayanihan KMenu




Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. wow. nice graphics.
    i will wait for more feedback from you before I try it myself.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I really can't test further tsong kasi may CDRW is borked so I can't make a CD.

    Pare 4:45 AM yung timestamp ng comment mo a. Tulog ka na!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this installation guide. I have downloaded the installer but I run out of CD-R to burn it. Will give my feedback soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As describe, too, "couldn't change the screen resolution in Virtualbox. . ." What is meant by: "so I moved the panel on top." Bayanihan Linux 4 allowed defining screen size on installation; not version 5 apparently. Otherwise, the distro is an great combination of beauty; functionality; and stability.

    Chard
    Lincoln City, Oregon
    USA

    ReplyDelete
  5. na-test nyo na rin ba itong bayanihanlinux 5 sa smartbro at sun broadband wireless?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous I only tested this on Virtualbox OSE

    ReplyDelete
  7. the bayanihan linux is configured for globe tattoo broadband. but you can use this to connect using other usb broadband such as smartbro and SBW. Hirap lang pag nag-mount ka ng NTFS partition. You need to dive into terminal.

    ReplyDelete

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...