Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 1101.b: Spideroak = Yet Another 2GB Cloud Storage Solution for Ubuntu

Why am I barraging you, the reader with all these posts about cloud storage solutions for Ubuntu?

Because you need it and these storage solutions are free.

I am using all of them so I have 6 GB of combined online storage.

Remember, I almost lost all of my kids photos.

SpiderOak

1. I started with downloading the SpiderOak client for Ubuntu 9.04.


The following platforms are also supported: Debian Etch, Debian Lenny, Fedora 10, Mac OS X, Slackware 12.1, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, Ubuntu Hardy Heron, Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, Windows

2. I installed the deb file I just downloaded by opening it with Gdebi


3. Run this in Ubuntu/Gnome - Applications > Internet > SpiderOak Backup

4. You'll see SpiderOak's splash



5. SpiderOak setup screen:


6. Heck, I'll just post all the pictures in one go. You can figure it out ;)

 
 

7. After you've filled up the forms. Close the program and then check your email to click the account registration link that you are supposed to click. Click it. Really.

8. You'll be taken to their welcome page. You can close that now.

9. Go back and click Applications > Internet > SpiderOak Backup

This time it will show you their program. I'll leave the rest for you to explore.


If you ask me, this all feels all too Windowsy. But anyway, 2 GB of Free Online Storage is 2 GB of Free Online Storage.

DropBox + UbuntuOne + SpiderOak = 6 GB of FREE ONLINE CLOUD STORAGE

I wonder what they'll think of next when I am 50 years old...

1 comment:

  1. How would you compare it to Ubuntu One? I use Spider Oak now and I'm thinking of changing to something more gnome/GTK native like Ubuntu One, but the UO website sucks and doesn't list any features or anything.

    ReplyDelete

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...