Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ubuntu: Where is the Love?

The first thing that greeted me this morning was a Slashdot piece on Ubuntu lovin' (or the lack of it):

"Used to be Ubuntu was the big Linux hero, the shining knight that would drive Linux onto every desktop and kick bad old Windows to the curb. But now Ubuntu is the Bad Linux. What's going on, is it typical fanboy fickleness, or is Canonical more into serving their own interests than creating a great Linux distro?"

It's sad really, and I haven't been keeping up to date with all the Ubuntu going-ons lately. So forgive me if I got one or two things wrong in this piece.

Official Ubuntu Book, The (5th Edition)
For me my Ubuntu story ended when I had to actually do something with my PC other than constantly repartition and install stuff.

It was just too time consuming to get things done. Forget the fanboy attitude all screaming at the same time that I'm wrong and that all it takes was a simple command in the beloved terminal.

It just didn't flow. Everything felt disjointed. Fix one problem and three more come out. At least, with windows, you can say that "Ignorance is bliss".

Next, the name. I'm about to renew the domain registration for dannybuntu.com, sometimes I wonder if I should even renew it since I'm no longer using or writing about Ubuntu. The only thing that makes me want to keep the name is the premise of,

"I am who I am because of who we all are."

Besides the fact of course that the domain is now a Page Rank 3 blog.

Next, I needed Microsoft Office and I needed it fast. Forget the "it just works" mantra - "gasgas na." I needed something that not only works, but also works fast, with minimum to no maintenance required (all those version upgrades and sudo dpkg ing really consumed a lot of time), was compatible with my employers office suite and something that didn't have fanboys and fangirls.

Next, the Ubuntu crowd tended to be elitists. They're the RTFM kind of crowd that just made people, ok me - feel stupid. Come on, even if it's true and even if there are some Ubuntu people that are just plain awesome and helpful - at the end of the day, I don't want to spend the whole day trying to fiddle around with all sort of mumbo jumbo that wasn't going to bring food to the table.

Next and perhaps the most compelling argument of all - desktop OS is no longer relevant. Everything is going to the clouds. What I'm waiting for is the Google OS for the desktop, lean and able to boot the moment you turn on the PC.

Finally, I loved Ubuntu for all its premise, promise and appeal, but if it has to take me several months to relearn everything that I've learned - I'd rather stick with something that's dumber than me.

Sorry guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...