Guest Post: How to Keep Your Ubuntu Computer Safe
By Dr. Muhammad Saleem, PhD
1. Avoid automatic login
2. Separate accounts for each user
3. Keep your software updated
4. Firewall setup
- Run GUFW by Applications, Administration and then Firewall Configuration.
- Check the box adjacent to Enabled under Actual Status, your firewall will be activated.
- By default, it does not allow any program to access the Internet. You have to add exceptions.
- To add exceptions, click Add button at the bottom of GUFW window.
- It will bring Add Rule dialog box with three tabs: Preconfigured, Simple and Advanced. Preconfigured brings up the common option for common programs/services. Otherwise, you can use Simple/Advanced to add port exceptions.