Sunday, January 27, 2008

dannybuntu: Linux User Says 'Thank you to Bill Gates'

Dear Mr. Bill Gates,

I know you don't read my blog since it is a Linux and Google blog. Most likely, you don't have the time to read any blog at all. Maybe one of your friends could read this and forward it to your iPhone or... no, wait, you don't use that either - okay forward it to your mobile email thingie.

Just the same, I just want to take this opportunity to say "thank you" for donating large amounts of cash to the Philippines International Rice Research Institute to develop rice, which is like everybody's favorite food here in the Philippines and other parts of the world like Africa, China, Vietnam, but not Antarctica.

I just wish that you aren't planning on selling a mega hybrid rice with DRM and copyright, since if you do and if you package it with every PC in the world, a lot of people with no PCs would not get to eat their favorite food: Rice.

The rice varieties that the IRRI could develop would best be distributed like Open Source Software. Really, that would be nice. Let's say they develop a rice hybrid with grains as big as a banana that tastes like fried chicken, please don't put a copyright to it.



You are always welcome here in the Philippines, to taste our favorite food: RICE.

Seriously, thank you.

dannybuntu

PS: If you'd somehow read this blog and wish to hire me in your non-profit organization, I'll be glad to work for you. Just let me use my favorite Linux Distribution: Debian. But, mind you, my work is not freeware.





4 comments:

  1. RE:["I just wish that you aren't planning on selling a mega hybrid rice with DRM and copyright"]

    Ever hear of Monsanto?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I do hope that if that's a rice variety it tastes like chicken. If its a company, it's not yet here in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Good work! Keep it up.

    Maybe you've seen many good Open Source projects that are no longer maintained. One of the many reasons for that may be lack of contribution. In fact, there are many one-man projects out there. Most of any program's users are just that, users, not developers. Nevertheless, average users still can contribute to Open Source programs to make them better.

    For Details visit:
    http://debaira.blogspot.com/2008/01/5-ways-to-contribute-to-open-source.html)

    Rakesh
    Debaira Blog ( http://debaira.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish imagination could count as a contribution. Because that is the only thing I can contribute.

    For example: I am very impressed with the Tremulous Game Development Team. They were able to make a game that instantly (1 to 2 years after initial release) made waves - now counting more than 100 game servers every minute.

    I wish to make a game and I have a concept - very original concept - but do not know how to make it come to fruition. I am not a programmer nor an artist.

    ReplyDelete

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...