Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Retrogaming with DosBox 0.72 in Ubuntu Linux: Megaman 1990

I recently got bored. Very bored. So, I decided to sift over some of my recent downloads which I haven't tended to for quite a while and then I found my Abandonware collection. Awesome.

3000+ titles of good old DOS games.

The fire of my youth gaming years was rekindled and I decided to go on retro gaming mode. I found games, which I actually played in my younger years:

1. Master of Orion
2. Megaman
3. Metal Marines

And yes, you can install good old Microsoft DOS games on Linux. On Ubuntu, it's a simple matter of apt-get.

Steps:

1. Install dosbox


$ sudo apt-get install -y dosbox

2. After that, run dosbox.


$ dosbox

You will then see the familiar dos shell with a prompt.

3. In the dosbox z:/> prompt, you will then have to mount the linux directory in your PC which has the game directory together with those *.exe, *.com, *.bat files.

For example:


z:/> mount c /home/dan/dosgames


z:/> c:


c:/>dir


c:/>dosgamesample.exe

Yey! Isn't it awesome? Of course it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...