Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 1099: Data Recovery on Ubuntu

With the recent demise of ironically, my backup hard disk. I set out to find a data recovery solution. I know the data is just there. It's just inaccessible.

The symptoms of my hard disk's problem were noted on my previous post.

The solution was provided by the Ubuntu Documentation Project itself.

1. I booted my Ubuntu Installer, which was the LiveCD I got which I ordered from Canonical.
2. I proceeded to add the repository of the Ubuntu Rescue CD Remix to get the necessary tools to get the job done.

$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

a. ADD to the bottom of the sources.list file.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/arzajac/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

b. SAVE


$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-rescue-remix-tools 


3. After that, I searched the Ubuntu Documentation Project for Recovery from Damaged Filesystem
4. I executed this command:
sudo ddrescue -r 3 /dev/sdb2 /media/backup/image /media/backup/logfile
It managed to rescue almost 25,000 individual files grouped together according to file type. It was organized by jpeg, bmp, gif, avi, mpg, etc.

The video that it did manage to save though were no longer playable. Otherwise, most of the other files were ok.

8 comments:

  1. Great post. I have also read your previous post, you have mentioned all points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all know that data recovery is not a easy job, but if we gather information and help from the internet then is becomes easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need any help, or have questions about data recovery using ubuntu, plz feel free to ask. We specialize in all forms of data recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Data recovery is a best way to prevent your all lost data. I appreciate your post about it.
    Data Recovery Services

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it quite interesting reading about Ubuntu.Keep sharing.
    Data Recovery Chennai

    ReplyDelete

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...