Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 1100: More Ubuntu Backup Solutions Found in the Clouds

Cloud Computing's application varies from simple backup solutions to complex data gathering and distribution. It's a technology that enables you to reallocate general computing functions from your physical desktop computer to a remote server. This saves you, the end user, the added cost and hassles of having to install bulky applications, updating programs, hardware failure, and the confinement of your data to a definite physical location.

In Ubuntu, Debian and Debian derived systems, there are at least two Cloud Computing solutions that provide Online Data Storage or Online Data Backup, namely: DropBox and UbuntuOne. With my recent hardware problems, I decided that it's time to backup my data - online. I'll be using both DropBox and UbuntuOne at the same time.  


This blog post would briefly run over the features rather than give a full treatment, both have a 2 GB FREE ACCOUNT, Dropbox is supported in most systems, UbuntuOne is exclusive to Ubuntu Jaunty, UbuntuOne is still in beta hence, there are lots of bugs and both require having to install their small software on your computer.


I have both installed on my PC, and have been favoring Dropbox over UbuntuOne for the simple fact that installation and use are both simpler. Besides, using both gives me 4GB of FREE CLOUD STORAGE.

I'll discuss my experience with both on my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...