Monday, July 05, 2010

A Time to Kill..Your Web Analytics

Mitch Joel of Six Pixels of Separation has a very enlightening proposition: Kill your web analytics to stoke tension.

An excerpt:

There's no denying it, running any sort of Digital Marketing initiative without some component of a web analytics tool is akin to driving with your eyes closed. That being said, we're starting to see more and more instances when killing your web analytics may be the smartest thing you can do.


Like in real life, tenacity is brought about by hunger. This hunger is fed by fear. And fear comes from the unknown.

Without the comfort of knowing that you are doing well in your campaign you are faced with one choice and one choice alone: to do more.

It is very much akin to blindfolding yourself while you use chopsticks to catch flies or closing your eyes while the breeze of the sea foretells the impending tsunami.

Julien Smith, tells us that we need tension. I believe him. I've been there. I still have it.


He said,

When you start nowhere, you have nothing to lose. When you get rich and famous, you go on defense and, next thing you know, you’ve lost your way. You don’t produce relevant work any more because your purpose is to defend what you’ve built and avoid to mistakes.


In my opinion, it is inevitable to go on the defense once you've reached a certain acceptable level of "perceived achievement". It is instinctive, it is protective and it is defensive.

Personally, my own self perceived level of success  barely scratched the surface when compared to their level of success. I'm still at that stage where I am running from that invisible monster called fear. I am still hungry as a dog, rabid in the deprivation. Absent the attainment of my perceived level of success, I will continue to find that quintessential and elusive goal.

My family's future depends on it.

Mitch Joel makes it clear that he doesn't necessarily mean that we'd have to totally remove the analytics software we have installed. What he could mean is to totally remove the accompanying emotions that comes along with it.

It's a good thing he mentioned that, because the blogger platform just included a built in tool for traffic analysis...

2 comments:

  1. Ei Danny, you on Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm yeah. Sorry I removed the link to your site. It was down for at least a week I think. Just send me an email if you'd like to be friends. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...