Friday, February 03, 2012

South China Sea Islands??!

This story is about a little globe my wife bought at National Bookstore here in Robinson's Lipa City, Batangas, Philippines. And maybe a little overreaction from my part? You be the judge.

It says there, South China Sea Islands
Sorry for the terrible picture.
I'll try to take a picture of it with the scanner
Now, I'm not really a geography buff but sometimes I do take a look at the map of the Philippines for sheer amusement. (Yeah, my life is that boring...)

Ok, now I need to scan it for you folks. It's round so I had to put bond paper at the sides...


This is the best quality I can come up with


Am I overreacting? I can understand that we've been calling the area the South China Sea since I was grade one or maybe even longer. Now, maybe for political reasons, we call it the West Philippine Sea.

My point is, the globe that I had is very small and obviously made in China. It was published (It's only now that I realized that people published globes rather than manufacture them.) by a company called SinoMaps Press.

The over emphasis of South China Sea Islands seems to me like a subtle form of propaganda. The font of the words are even bigger than those of the word BRUNEI - considering that these islands barely even show on any map for their miniscule physical size.  

So what? Choc nut!

Wala lang!


No comments:

Post a Comment

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...