Thursday, May 09, 2013

Greater than the Biggest of Dreams - Why I am Rescinding my Mars One Application


As a father of 5 children, I made it a point to lead my family as a Democracy. We vote on many things like ice cream, who gets to come with mommy when she goes shopping, who gets the last slice of pizza, etc. Of course, I get to keep the title (I borrowed from Mark Shuttleworth - CEO of Canonical) of Self Appointed Benevolent Dictator for Life (SABDFL) - er, Benevolent Dad for Life pala - with veto powers.

Once, over at breakfast, we were talking about my Mars One application and right off the bat, I asked, "Who wants daddy to go to Mars?" Nobody voted and there was an awkward silence.

Then my eldest daughter spoke with her trademark sad eyes.

"You can go, if you want to.

Those were her very exact words.

I was thunderstruck.

She's 10 years old and about to have her 11th birthday this May.

You could probably say that I'm either a very horrible and terrible dad to merit such a reply, or that my daughter is well advanced in maturity and intelligence. She knew very well the implications of me going to Mars. That it would mean that I won't get to see them again, that I won't be able to see her graduate,  have her wedding and not be able to witness the fulfillment of their lives.

With her thoughts and words, I realized a lot of things, there are some things that are far greater than even the greatest of ambitions and dreams..

I am a father first and most of all, sworn to uphold, protect, provide for and defend my family.

The House Garcia

Make your own sigil
With this, I am rescinding my Mars One Application.

There are now 4 very worthy candidates for the Philippines.




No comments:

Post a Comment

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...