Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sunday Devotions: Genesis, Healing and Ten Commandments

We were not able to go to Church today so what I did was to gather and ask my kids to read the Bible, and we read about Genesis Chapter 12. That part about Abraham, leaving his homeland and dropping by Egypt. (Christian Bible: Genesis 12)

And then we watched Dr. Albert's video - Part 2 of a series of 4. It's about healing and as usual, Pastor A never fails to emphasize the finer points of healing in the lives of Christians. I've also learned and validated that our emotions and spiritual being is closely intertwined with our physical bodies. There's a recent scientific article supporting this claim - I lost the link but it supports the greater inclusion of psychiatrists and psychologists in healthcare facilities. Google it.

I can attest to this because of a fairly recent semi-traumatic event which happened to me - just a few weeks after that - I got sick for one whole week. It's one of the rare moments when I was stuck in bed, everything tasted bad, slept the whole day and just lay there as I watched my wife struggle to help me like I was a baby. I was totally helpless, and I can say that yes my wife really is a blessing to me, in the past, the present and the future. So thanks, Weng.

Now this video by Pastor A, could be best understood if you are bilingual like me. He speaks Filipino and English. It's really funny if you can speak Filipino as well as English.

I'll leave out the message lest I do something to it, but on a side comment: "Jesus spat on somebody? Hwat?!"

 

My notes about the ten commandments parchment above:

I took it from a dailymail.co.uk article: The best preserved Ten Commandments parchment goes on display in New York dated 2011. Picture credits entirely to them.

Now, it interested me (despite the debates at the bottom of that article about it being "the foundation for most American Civil and Criminal law") because I've always been drawn to it. It must be because my mom hung a version of it near our dining table.

It's also crucial to study this because it's one of the most delineating factors between Protestantism and Catholicism.

Note: There are many rocking changes in Catholicism now that's worth watching and observing. I will link to the reddit post that will link to the article. (Click here) Warning, reddit can confuse you.

According to the Daily Mail article the ten commandments are as follows:

  1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me
  2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
  3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
  4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
  5. Honour thy father and thy mother
  6. Thou shalt not kill
  7. Thou shalt not commit adultery
  8. Thou shalt not steal
  9. Thou shalt not bear false witness
  10. Thou shalt not covet

I boldfaced the second commandment and you'd understand why if you're a Christian in the Philippines.

So that's it. 

Note for the day: Science and Spirituality are NOT mutually exclusive. There should be no dichotomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...