Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Changing Default File Manager in Gnome From Nautilus to Konqueror

As a Debian 37 day old newbie, I am going to do something stupid today. In fact I already did. I tried to replace Nautilus as my default File Manager to Konqueror. My step to achieve this is by removing Nautilus since I already have Konqueror installed.

I did this:

apt-get remove nautilus


This was its reply:

debian:/home/danny/Desktop# apt-get remove nautilus
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
gnome-core gnome-desktop-environment nautilus nautilus-cd-burner
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 88 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 3994kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 128698 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing gnome-desktop-environment ...
Removing gnome-core ...
Removing nautilus-cd-burner ...
Removing nautilus ...
debian:/home/danny/Desktop#


I realized that I've done something wrong when I saw the boldfaced lines above. My browser is still up so I might be able to store some information before I reboot.

UPDATE: I was able to reboot, however I lost certain functionalities as well as icons on my desktop. Fortunately I was able to back up my sticky notes.

LEARNED:

*Uninstalling Nautilus did NOT make Konqueror the default File Browser.
*Uninstalling Nautilus also uninstalled the following applications

gnome-desktop-environment ...
gnome-core ...
nautilus-cd-burner ...
nautilus ...

*With the uninstallation of the following gnome components, several functionalities have gone missing:

the shortcut icons on my desktop
the right click

2 comments:

  1. Nautilus draws the desktop window and icons and provides the right-click menu, so removing it is the cause of all of the problems you observed.

    gnome-core and gnome-desktop-environment are meta-packages; their only function is to depend on other packages so that they may be easily installed as a group. When you remove one member of the group, the meta-package is also removed, but the other members of the group are not affected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the insight. I have switched from Gnome to KDE, but still like Epiphany as my web browser and Gimp as my IMP. However, I am having a problem integrating these gnome apps to look like kde.

    Gnome vs KDE

    Basically how it looks like

    ReplyDelete

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...