Monday, July 30, 2012

Reading a Book: The Laws of Prosperity Kenneth Copeland



July 30, 2012 Monday 9:59 AM Philippine Time

5:00 AM Today was a stormy day, but it started out great because two of my greatest joys are in waking up with my baby Hannah beside me and seeing my wife nurse her for whatever babies need. We woke up early and the sun hasn’t touched the sky yet.

6:00 AM A few hours later, the entire house was blanketed by that cold darkness I have always despised. Even though it was early in the morning, there was a power failure. The water supply followed suit but fortunately we still had our extra stores of water. At the time the power went out, my wife and I were actually watching a video that came with the book that my mom lent my wife.

I was curious about it, but to be honest I didn’t really enjoy reading religious material or watching about it. To me they sounded all the same. But since the power went out and I can’t work outside nor dabble with the computer, I decided to read some parts of the book with whatever light I had.

One thing’s for sure, physical labor dulls my mind. I’m certain that it may have the same effects for those who have done it for longer periods. After all, who would want to read a book after doing some dirty and back breaking work?

But since yesterday was also rainy and I haven't managed to do any work, my body and mind were in good condition for some reading.



The title of the book is "The Laws of Prosperity" by Kenneth Copeland. I've been a curious skeptic to what some Christians call the prosperity gospel but I didn't think that this was related to it. For one, I haven't heard of Kenneth Copeland and he doesn't seem to be involved in any of those televangelists like Benny Hinn. I could be wrong and I'm sorry Benny, but your toupée doesn't seem right with me.

I mean, I don't know, maybe it's because of the things he says on television that were just unbelievable or too Christian-marketing inclined. I know that they run an orphanage near my hometown in Paranaque Philippines, and that's the only positive thought that I have of the man. But yeah, who am I to judge him right?

So anyway, I haven't read any kind of book for a long time even though the amount that I've written could already be equivalent to several volumes of Internet related things. I promised myself that I should get back into reading at the very least 1 page a day - to get me back into the habit. Yes, my reading has suffered that much, that I can only read a few pages before I get absolutely bored.

I've actually read 20 pages, so give me a pat in the back. I didn't understand most of it, since my mental faculties aren't really up to par nowadays, but here's one thing that I did understand about the first 20:

The financial laws of man are separate from the spiritual laws of God. That didn't make much sense didn't it?

Let's just say that the System of the World is different from the System of God

Alright that made a little bit more sense.

In the book, Ken, can I call him Ken? He says, that


  • "God has a highly organized system to meet the needs of every facet of your life
  • "The world's system of meeting our needs works exactly opposite from God's system"
  • "God's system and its laws are totally contradictory to the world's system"
  • "Money is the lowest form of power that exists on earth."
That's from page 18. 

My silly thought interlude: As I'm writing, the thought of the atheists on Google+ where I will be sharing this post actually came to my mind. I could almost imagine them saying #Fuckyou with a hashtag. 

Anyway, I know a fair amount about the world's system, but not all. To a certain extent, I agree with the notion that it is fallible. We've seen it, witnessed it, regardless of cultural-religious background. In fact, right now, as I write this, we all know that it is still in the painful process of failing. What I fail to comprehend is this system of God that's being talked about in the book. 

Sure, there are scriptures and inspirational thoughts strewn here and thereabouts, but to me they're all as vague as the weather we have right now. Cloudy and dark. 

I know that eventually, like most Christian themed books on prosperity that it will all redound or go back to tithing and doing God's work. I mean, that's not for me. But I'm interested at the very least in understanding these laws. That's all I can write right now, I'll be continuing this as I progress with my reading. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it sometime. It's been years since I finished a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

EventId's in Nostr - from CGPT4

The mathematical operation used to derive the event.id in your getSignedEvent function is the SHA-256 hash function, applied to a string rep...